27.10.09
My name is Barrie Stradling, I had a severe traumatic brain injury (TBI) following a road traffic accident when I was run down by a hit and run driver in November 2006. Over the last 3 years I have tried to investigate the best options that I can use to overcome the problems that a brain injury leaves you with, for example short term memory difficulties, stress and anxiety problems and cognitive difficulties. For reference, I am a lead singer in a band, and before my brain injury in order to perform the songs I memorised all the arrangements and lyrics for dozens of songs, however since my TBI I have had to use written arrangements to overcome my memory difficulties, this has thankfully helped me to perform with the band as I did before.
My life changed radically after my brain injury, and although it has been a stressful period, I have thankfully progressed, particularly since my time with the Disability Options Team at Mile End Hospital and volunteering at Headway East London (since January 2008). They have both helped me to recover. I am now involved in the Discovery Programme here at Headway East London.
The project I’m working on at the Discovery Programme is intended to help develop fresh and innovative ideas that enable people with a brain injury overcome challenges. These innovations will be developed through collaboration between outside professional designers and members of Headway East London and will hopefully also be useful for the wider community. I'm hoping the innovation projects at the Discovery Programme will lead to the development of a viable business, offering products/designs that solve difficult problems. I personally hope that the Discovery Programme is successful and that it will lead to gainful employment within the project in due course.
- Barrie
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

You write posher than you talk, Barrie. 'In due course'? Millwall would be proud.
ReplyDelete- Ben